The word ‘arthritis’ means ‘inflammation of the joints’. It is derived from two Greek words: athron, meaning joints; and itis, meaning inflammation. It is, generally, a chronic disease process. Arthritis occurs in various forms, the most frequent being osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease which usually occurs in the older age-group. Rheumatoid arthritis is a serious disease which affects not only the joints of the fingers, wrists, hips, knees, and feet, but also the muscles, tendons and other tissues of the body.
Remedies for Arthritis
• Steam baths and massage once a week are very helpful.
• Take 10-15 grams of camphor and 200-250 grams of mustard oil and mix in a glass bottle and keep this bottle in sun till the camphor gets dissolved properly. Massage the affected area everyday with it. One of the good home remedies for leg pain.
• Eating 4-5 walnuts on empty stomach in morning provided relief from leg pain in a short duration.
• Intake of cod liver oil helps in curing all sorts of leg pains and general weakness of the body.
• 2-3 teaspoonful of fenugreek powder in morning water is very helpful.
• Eat Alfalfa or take alfalfa capsules. It’s very rich in minerals needed for the formation of bones.
• Take Vitamin E to protect and improve joint mobility.
• Boswellia has anti-inflammatory effects similar to Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID) (Advil, Aleve, Tylenol etc.) but this herb does not have side effects and does not causes gastrointestinal bleeding. It improves circulation to the joints, relieves pain, inflammation and stiffness.
• Ginger is the Killer of Arthritis pain, superior to any NASID, it can be applied directly on the affected area or taken orally either way it relieves pain, inflammation, stiffness, bursitis, tendinitis.
• Recent studies have shown that Cinnamon is a remarkable natural treatment for arthritis pain. Simply add half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder to one tablespoon of honey every morning before breakfast. Repeat this daily for one month. Results should be noticeable within the first week.
• Turmeric, a common spice in Indian cuisine, has been used to reduce inflammation for hundreds of years in Ayurvedic medicine. Not surprisingly, by taking 500mg to 1000mgTurmeric capsules three times per day, many individuals have reported significant relief from osteoarthritis pain.