Benefits Of Barley – Healing Herbs
Whenever a person of the family of Prophet Muhammad PBUH fell sick then it was ordered that the barley gruel should be prepared for him. Then Prophet Muhammad PBUH used to state it removes the grief of the patients heart, removes its weakness as any of you removes the dirt from your face after washing it”. (Ibn Maja)
Once Prophet PBUH said to Ali Radi Allaho anho“You recently recovered from illness, and weak, Oh Ali “eat from it, it is better for you”. (Ibn-e-Maja, Sanad-e-Ahmed, Tirmizi). Barley is mentioned in many hadiths which showed that it is used as an important nutrition in islamic history.
• The barley gruel was especially prepared after boiling it with milk and sweetened with honey. That preparation was called as Talbina.
• It helps to reduce weight, It modulates blood sugar levels
• It has Copper, which may also be helpful in reducing the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis.
• It reduces risk of cancer & heart diseases.
• It reduces bad cholesterol, lipoprotein (a), and free radicals.
• It also lowers the risk of blood clots.
• Its juice is very high in calcium, making your bones stronger.
• It reduces the risk of colon cancer, breast cancer.
• It’s juice is much higher in calcium than milk.
• It increases your metabolism and makes you feel lighter. It is especially beneficial for people who feel bloated.
Difference between Barley & Wheat:
• Wheat has a weaker taste whereas barley has a stronger taste
• Barley has a higher fiber content than wheat.
• When wheat is ready to be harvested it is in brown or golden hue and when barley is harvested it is in yellow-white hue.
• The wheat has a shorter beard but barley has a longer beard.
• Barley is harvested in warmer seasons, that is, in the spring time whereas wheat best thrives in cooler climate.
• Barley can be cooked easily as rice although wheat has to be milled before cooking