Normally, as food goes through your digestive tract, the large intestine soaks up extra water. Sometimes, though, it doesn’t, and you get rid of the fluid in your stool—a bothersome problem we call diarrhea.
Remedies for Diarrhea
It’s important to keep replacing your body’s supply of water and electrolytes, which include sodium, potassium and chloride. Mix up the perfect electrolyte drink by stirring a half-teaspoon of salt and four teaspoons of sugar into a litre of water. Add a little bit of orange juice, lemon juice or salt substitute for potassium. During the day, drink the full amount.
• Avoid fruit juices. Large amounts of fructose can be hard to digest.
• Spoil yourself with the BRAT diet: bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.
• Cook some carrots until they’re soft, then drop them in a blender with a little water.Eat a quarter to a half-cup each hour.
• Avoid foods that are rich in roughage, which can be hard to digest. That means no beans, cabbage or Brussels sprouts.
• Avoid milk and dairy products except yogurt.(agreed by all medical experts unanimously).
• Eat yogurt containing “live cultures” like Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium. These help to restore healthy levels of the helpful bacteria in your intestine.
• Drink black tea sweetened with sugar. The hot water helps with rehydration and tea contains astringent tannins that help reduce intestinal inflammation.
• Make a mixture by adding 1/2 tsp lemon juice, 1/2 tsp ginger juice and 1/4 tsp pepper powder. Drink this mixture two times a day.
• The pomegranate has proved beneficial in the treatment of diarrhea because of its astringent properties. If the patient develops weakness due to profuse and continuous purging, he should be given repeatedly about 50 ml. of pomegranate juice to drink. This will control the diarrhoea.
• Turmeric is a very useful intestinal antiseptic. It is also a gastric stimulant and a tonic. Turmeric rhizome, its juice or dry powder are all very helpful in curing chronic diarrhoea. In the form of dry powder, it may be taken in buttermilk or plain water.
• Make blackberry tea by boiling one or two tablespoons of blackberries or dried blackberry leaves in 1 1⁄2 cups water for 10 minutes, then strain. Drink a cup several times a day. Raspberry tea is also said to be effective.
YOU MAY LIKE: Benefits Of Camphor – Healing Herbs