Bilirubin is primarily a bi product of the breakdown of red blood cells in the liver and is removed from the body through the excretory system. When the liver malfunctions or fails, the levels of bilirubin within the body starts to increase and the body may start to become yellowish in color.
The whites of the eyes are the first noticeable symptom as they start to yellow. One of the most common medical conditions that results from high bilirubin levels is jaundice. Because of the fact that low levels are not usually considered a medical concern, there are no low bilirubin levels treatments.
All causes of high bilirubin levels in adults are linked with failure of the liver and factors like excessive alcohol consumption, being affected by the hepatits virus or even as a result of drug toxicity. In adults the most common sign of high levels of bilirubin is a yellow color to the eyes and skin. Some other symptoms include fatigue, dark- colored urine, vomiting and nausea.
Remedies for High Bilirubin
• Have plenty of fruit juices and drink a lot of fresh vegetable juices.
• Try and avoid food that has a lot of fat and oil in it ie fried food etc. Stick to a simple light or liquid diet.
• Avoid having Tobacco and Alcohol as they put a lot of strain on the liver.
• Donot eat spicy food,meat and use vegetables.Ensure that your diet is rich in Vitamin C and B complex. Chew sugarcane couple of times a day as it plays the role of a diuretic and hence cleans the urine.
• Take pure turmeric powder, add 10gms of this powder to 50gms of pure yoghurt and mix well and divide into equal parts. Drinks one part in the morning and another in the evening for 15days.
• Take 20 grams of pure honey and the same amount of neem leaves. Then add 3 grams black pepper powder. Have half of it in the morning, half at night.
• Have plenty of Barley water. You can also try having 1 spoonful olive oil every 6 hours as it helps lower the bilirubin level.