A normal menstrual period lasts from 2 to 7 days. The normal cycle patterns can range from 21 to 35 days. When bleeding occurs that is not part of the regular cycle (ie. occurs between periods), periods are longer or heavier than normal or there is an absence of periods, this is called abnormal or irregular uterine bleeding.
There are various causes of abnormal bleeding, but the most common is a hormone imbalance. At both ends of the menstrual life of a woman, periods may be irregular. Reasons for abnormal periods can be both normal and abnormal.
The most normal reason is pregnancy. Hormone imbalance (not enough or too much of certain hormones) can also be a common reason. This can occur as a result of weight loss or gain, heavy exercise, stress, poor diet, illness, or certain medications.
Remedies for Irregular/Painful Menstruation
• A piece of fresh ginger (adrak), ground and boiled in a cup of water. The infusion should be taken thrice a day after meals along with sugar.
• Boil 1 teaspoon saffron (kesar) in ½ cup water. Let it reduce to become 1 tablespoon. Divide this decoction into three portions and take with equal quantities of water, thrice daily for a couple of days.
• Menstruation delay: Take ½ teaspoon finely ground cinnamon (dalchini) every night along with 1 cup milk.
• Powder 1 teaspoon dried mint (pudina) leaves and take with 1 teaspoon honey, thrice daily.
• Excessive Bleeding: Boil 1 teaspoon coriander (dhania) seeds in 2 cups water till it is reduced to 1 cup. Add sugar to taste and drink when lukewarm. Repeat twice or thrice a day.
• Pineapple and Papaya helps get periods on time. intake these fruits as a salad before one week of your period date.
• White sesame seeds too help to regulate periods on time .
• Boil grated fresh ginger with water and let it cool and drink twice a week.